Thursday, October 27, 2011

Treasure Hunt

One of the best things about having visitors spend the night is that you are forced to clean up that extra bed room.

Alternatively, one of the worst things about having visitors spend the night is that you are forced to clean up that extra bed room.

And though cleaning up can be a pain for everyone, knowing you have an organized and clean place is a wonderful feeling.  Recently, I was assigned this love/hate mission because friends were coming in town.  The spare bedroom in the apartment I am renting has been used as a storage vessel for not just my empty suitcases, but also the apartment owner's belongings as well.

So hop to it!  Move around this box, move around that box.  Is that a medicine ball?  Awesome.  A bag of old clothes that haven't been worn for at least 20 years.  Cool, found another clothes iron.  Oh that has rust too?  Never mind.  Nice, a box filled with tools.

So much junk and yet, so little time to sift through everything.  Really, it was a game of how much stuff can I push into the corner and get everything to sit on top of each other without collapsing.

I just needed enough room for the pull out couch in there to open up.  And eventually after moving things around enough, balancing boxes precisely and squishing enough things into already too-filled cabinets, I did what was needed.

In the process, however, I scored treasure.

Sorry to disappoint but that's not a DVD. 

Pure nostalgic treasure, that is to say. The hunt was ON the first time I found this 8mm film.  Where there's one, there had to be more!  So kind of like a side mission within a broader mission, Operation Nostalgia went live within Operation Cleanse.

After more searching I found several unmarked films which don't help me without a player so I skipped over those.  But then I found this:

What, no Blu-Ray?!

Definitely have to copy and paste from Google Translate's Wikipedia entry for this explanation to the rest of the world:  What is Tutto Toto`?

TuttoTotò is the name of a television series consisting of 9 -for-TV movie that Toto turned in 1967 , during the last months of his life. Antonio De Curtis wanted to recycle it for the small screen all the old sketches of theatrical golden years . Source

8mm film of Italian sketch comedy from 1967.  Such a cool find.  Too bad I couldn't watch it.

Then, the true treasure came out.  Something I recognized!

The Front

Translations
At the top: Taken from the original film by Walt Disney  DUMBO
At the bottom: THE TRIUMPH OF DUMBO

The Back

Translation (as best I can do)
DUMBO
The triumph of Dumbo - Dumbo, the elephant who was born with ridiculous, giant ears, obtains great success and becomes the star of the big circus.  A funny episode taken from the famous Disney movie.

This is pure gold people.  Pure nostalgia gold.  Makes me want to watch Dumbo again so I can remember exactly what happens on this funny episode.

All in all, not a bad situation.

Operation Cleanse: Complete
Operation Nostalgia: Complete

Who ever said cleaning can't be fun?

No comments: