Friday, October 28, 2011

Free Things To Do In Rome: Ghost Garden

It's almost Halloween!!!  Perhaps a Halloween tale is in order to scare you silly?

Today, you get no such tale!  If you want to be scared, just read my horrific short story The Tale of the Purse Dog. Little pups all over the world tell that scary tale around the campfire, holding a flashlight up to their faces, many times, the light unknowingly blocked by their long, droopy ears.

Today, we talk about the Ghost Garden.

So what is this so called Ghost Garden?  It is actually a cemetery in Rome, which I also consider a garden.

I'd like to take a second to respect the dead and the living who object to my calling a cemetery a "ghost garden", in addition to those who feel betrayed that I sucked you in using my play on words as a masterful marketing ploy.

To the living:  I write this post in hopes that you can use the following information to have an even better time in Rome if you come out here.

To the dead:  I write this post in honor of your beautiful grounds to encourage others to visit you more often.

Now that absolutely everyone understands my motives, it's time to talk about The Protestant Cemetery.

When my expert told me she wanted to go there the other day, I didn't really know what to expect.  Living the life of a budget-minded professional blogger, my main thoughts were Will I be able to write about it? and How much will it cost?

It was definitely worth writing about.

The cost?  Trumpet fanfare please........Da dada dum dum da DUM!!!!!!

SUPER FREE!!!

The Protestant Cemetery is one of the many Free Things To Do In Rome and I highly recommend it.  Officially called the Cimitero acattolico (Non-Catholic Cemetery) but often referred to as the Cimitero degli inglesi (Englishman's Cemetery), this can be the final resting place for ANY type of non-catholic.  Many, both living and dead, will be pleased to find out there is not an exclusive membership for just protestants or Englishmen.

It's a relatively young cemetery considering Rome's age.  The oldest burial is from 1738.  Source  Other than being a free thing to do, there are three distinct things which I find VASGO-worthy and thus making it on my recommendation list.

1. There are very notable names of the deceased.

For example, you can see the grave of the poet Percy Bysshe Shelley.  Though I wasn't familiar with his work, I was familiar with his second wife's work, Mary Shelley, who wrote the popular horror novel, Frankenstein.  Additionally, you can also see the ever-popular poet, John Keats' grave.  Don't know who they are?  Click their names to gain a little knowledge!


2. The back drop of the cemetery is gorgeous.

Lines of Mediterranean Cypress trees, other flowers, plants, bushes and trees growing next to as well as ON graves give you the feeling the place is enchanted.  Single rays of sunlight do their best to make their way through tall and medium trees just to touch the ground below.  In the summer, you will cool off here with plenty of shade.  In the winter, you will warm up with plenty of sunny spots.




You feel like you have entered a different age when you walk right next to the Pyramid of Cestius.  Cestius' tomb was built around 30BC - 15BC!!!

Even cats tour the grounds.


3. So many elements are visually stunning and worth seeing in person. 

I've never seen a cemetery so diverse in sculpted graves, headstones, etc.  I am reminded slightly of the times I traveled near New Orleans, Louisiana, USA and saw some of the above-ground cemeteries which seem just as grand and beautiful.





Although these are just a few highlights of what I saw, I encourage all to see what I purposely left out.  There is MUCH more to be seen... HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

No comments: