Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Free Things To Do In Rome: Porta Portese Flea Market

Hmmmm.  Where to put my wallet...

Should I put my wallet in my jeans back pocket?  No.  Way too easy.

How about one of my jeans front pockets?  Nope.  Still too easy.

Ok, let's think here.  I could put on a zip up lightweight jacket.  But then I'd have to hold onto the wallet in my jacket pocket the whole time.  Not into that either.

It's cold enough today.  I could wear a larger coat over the zip up jacket, keeping my wallet in the zip up jacket pocket.  Perfect!

There's no way my wallet will get stolen now!  Now all I have to do is figure out how to move my arms.

Source

Why all the security?  Because we are headed to one of Rome's most popular spots to get pick-pocketed: The famous-for-more-than-one-reason Porta Portese Flea Market.  

Held only on Sundays, massive numbers of people young and old show up between 7am and 2pm to walk the astoundingly long lane of vendor booths to haggle their way to the best deal on new and used clothes, cookware, office supplies, toys, antiques, garage sale items, trinkets, whammies and pretty much every widget imaginable.

Because of these large crowds, you are almost always within 3 feet (one meter) of a stranger.  Sometimes closer, sometimes farther.  But in general, hungry hands could reach into pockets quite easily if they were easily accessible.

All the books I have on Rome tell me to watch out for Pick-Pockets here.  Most of the resources on the internet tell me the same.  Even someone who has lived here for 30 years told me the best way to prevent getting pick-pocketed at Porta Portese was to go naked.

I decided it was too cold for the latter, but thought it would be smart to at least heed some advice.  So I packed the wallet carefully and made my way over there.

I started at the back end, on a side street where it tailed off, hence the luxury of open space in the photo below.


Upon getting to the more crowded spots, my eyes were darting back and forth more on the people than the items on display.  That guy over there with the jacket?  Possible thief.  That kid holding his mom's hand?  Likely a decoy.  The kid has small hands that could easily sneak into someone's purse.  That grandmother pushing her granddaughter in a stroller?  Clearly, they have a devious agenda.

Once I eyed up the potential thieves, I relaxed and was able to see all the fantastic items on display.




Where else could you so easily have nostalgia?



Notice the book below, "Mega Almanacco" has all the characters from "Ducktales" on it.  I watched that show every weekday during its prime.

I'm glad to report to the world that I experienced no thefts during my adventure!  I even witnessed a woman in her 60s drop her wallet on the ground, Euro bills clearly hanging out of it after that, and not a single "vulture" swooped down to steal it before she had a chance to pick it up.

So have no fear.  Don't let the stories scare you from seeing the Porta Portese flea market!  It's truly a feast for the eyes, and it can be one of the Free Things To Do In Rome, if you have the fortitude to not spend your money!

Ciao for now!

No comments: