Monday, November 28, 2011

VASGO Turns 10,000

Age amounts to very little in the timeless space called the Internet.  One could say a website's age is determined by page views.  Particularly this one. (me.)

Therefore, I, mayor of VASGOville, hereby declare just VASGO to be 10,000 clicks old.  In Italian cyberspace, you would not ask "How old are you?" like in the United States. Instead it would be worded "How many clicks do you have?"

(The joke there for those not accustomed to Italian language, or really any Latin-based romance language for that matter, is that the construction of the English phrase "How old are you?" to find out one's age is very often "How many years do you have?" as the most literal translation.)

(Told you it was funny.)

Anyway, regardless of my humor whether you find it funny or not, we are here today to celebrate just VASGO because last weekend it turned 10,000.  Thank you to EVERYONE all over the world!

Source

You helped us reach this milestone in less than three months since official launch date.  Because of this, it's time to learn a little about VASGO's audience.

Dear Australia,
You are my 10th best reader. I had no idea that although you are rich in natural resources and have a lot of fertile land, more than one-third of you is desert. (source)


Dear Malta,
You are my 9th best reader. I had no idea that your location in the Mediterranean, midway between Africa and Europe has made you a highly sought-after "prize" over the centuries.  For example, you were fought over in the 16th century when the Knights of St. John repelled 30,000 soldiers of Suleyman the Magnificent's Ottoman Empire. (source)


Dear India,
You are my 8th best reader. I had no idea that you hold the largest business in the world: Indian Railways, employing over a million people.  I am equally fascinated that Chess was invented in you, as well as Martial Arts. (source)


Dear Germany,
You are my 7th best reader. I enjoyed visiting you about 12 years ago.  I had no idea that you have more soccer (also called calcio, futbol, football and I'm sure others depending on where you are from) fan clubs in your country than anywhere else in the world. I'm very surprised to hear that you are ranked SECOND in world-wide beer consumption per person after that of Ireland (another surprise). (source)


Dear Netherlands,
You are my 6th best reader. In a few months, I will finally get to visit you.  I had a feeling the "Netherlands" and "Holland" are in fact one and the same.  However, I had no idea that one quarter of your entire country is below sea level, that about 30% of all Dutch babies are born at home and that the Dutch are the tallest people in Europe. (source)


Dear Canada,
You are my 5th best reader. I have visited you about four times over my life.  I am not surprised to find out that hockey is one of your national sports.  However, I had no idea lacrosse would ALSO be considered your national sport.  Most surprising is the fact that your country consumes more macaroni and cheese than any other nation on earth!  (source)


Dear United Kingdom,
You are my 4th best reader. I really never knew how you broke down, better said, that you are composed of four different nations: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.  Additionally, if I took Northern Ireland out of the equation, I never knew I could call the three of you Great Britain. (source)


Dear Switzerland,
You are my 3rd best reader. I knew you were known for being neutral, but I had no idea you remained neutral in EVERY major war since 1815.  Furthermore, I am interested to find out your neutrality is the reason why you host such organizations as the Red Cross, the World Trade Organization (WTO), and one of the United Nation's two European offices. (source)


Dear Italy,
You are my 2nd best reader. I absolutely love living in you!  You have given the world so much in terms of art, music, food and much more.  But most of that is common knowledge.  What I didn't know about you is that UNICEF's 2007 report on child well-being in rich countries ranked you as the best country for family and peer relationships. (source)


Dear United States,
You are my number 1 best reader! You are a fascinating mix of cultures.  You are an enormous country compared to the rest of the world.  I already knew you owned the wettest place on earth (most recorded rainfall per X? is in Hawaii) but what I didn't know was that you house the world's highest roller coaster! (in Ohio). (source)

To all countries around the world that read just VASGO, thank you so much!









No comments: