Wednesday, November 9, 2011

SPAIN WEEK: The Other Meals

Being part of an organized group may have been the culinary destruction of my trip to Spain.  Since the first meal I ate which was explained in my post titled, ""SPAIN WEEK: The First Meal", any person can see that I was disappointed.

Here's the meal break down for the rest of the trip.

Day 2:
Lunch - 1st Plate: Vegetable soup
             2nd Plate: Heavily seasoned pork chops and french fries
The pork was highly seasoned and made it delicious in my opinion.

Dinner - 1st Plate: Salad and Iberico ham (or some kind of high quality spanish proscuitto)
The salad was ok.  Of course, the ham was absolutely delicious.

 2nd Plate:  Sauteed chicken breasts and french fries, seasoned only with sea salt
The sea salt made this taste good.  Still, I was disappointed that I'd eaten this same dish the day before for dinner.
         
Day 3:

Lunch - 1st Plate: White rice, fried egg on top and enchilada sauce
I was happy with this because it was something I'd never thought of as a combination and it felt like the first authentic Spanish dish of the whole trip. 

2nd Plate: Seasoned pork and peppers on a skewer, with french fries.
It was highly seasoned, so it was rather tasty.
           
Dinner - All Small Plates: Tapas / Pintxos of fried cheese, fried doughs, meats such as Iberico ham slices or chorizo slices, seafoods, etc.  FINALLY, what I consider a true taste of Spain.

I apologize for the blurry photo, but I had to share this strange Pintxo plate.  You could have a sardine skewered between two olives.  Or you could have a sardine topped scallop.  Crazy.

Day 4:

Lunch - 1st Plate: Fish and clam soup
This soup was awesome!  I had to go back for a second helping.

2nd Plate: Two steaks, peppers and french fries.
This was easily one of the worst dishes of the trip.  The meat was nasty, a terrible cut for cooking  as a bone-in steak.

Dinner - 1st Plate: Salad

             2nd Plate:  Fish Omelette

              3rd Plate:  Steak!

              4th Plate:  Manchego cheese and a honey/fruit jelly

This final meal of the trip was very obviously the one where the most money was budgeted.  I'll post more about this another time because there is something very special about this meal and deserves more attention.

However, do you see the recurring them in most of the meals?

FRENCH FRIES!!!!

Good thing I enjoy those greasy tubers.  Although, I don't think my heart enjoyed them considering I haven't been eating a lot of greasy things like these in Italy since I moved out here.

The second most recurring theme is a tie between plain, sauteed chicken and seasoned pork!  I admit that the pork was extremely palatable.  Plain chicken is, well, boring.

Looks like I will have to go back to Spain on my own to truly sample the supposedly delicious cuisine!

Why?  Because these are just a couple of the many things I missed out on!



No comments: