Friday, October 12, 2012

The Holy Grail of Beers

Westvleteren is the name of the brewery in the Trappist Abbey of St. Sixtus of Westvleteren.  Serious beer lovers know the name because they have mystery appeal.  Most have heard of it, and most have never tried it. Since World War II, the abbey has prohibited the commercial sale of this beer.  The monks who reside at St. Sixtus create the beer solely to keep the abbey running, not for profit - the mantra of the trappist label.  So, sadly, they cap the amount they brew each year to a mere 60,000 cases each year.
Through a quick search online, one unreliable source suggested that Budweiser brews 2,500,000 cases each year. Much, MUCH more.

But in this comparison lies the age-old dilemma.  Which is more important: Profit or Quality?

I'm certain our ancestors from the early 1900s would say quality craftsmanship, regardless the product, was the most important business goal. I'm also certain today's generation would describe the goals of corporations and other major businesses quite alternatively. Oh trusted Capitalism, how you've changed your ways over the years.

Thankfully, St. Sixtus is concerned with one thing, making what many consider to be the world's best beer.
The story goes like this: You couldn't buy their beer anywhere. If you wanted a bottle of their beer, you would have to buy a case, and no more than one case, DIRECTLY AT THE BREWERY, located in Vleteren, Belgium, way up in the northeastern part of the country near the French borders. They made three different kinds with the names of Blonde, 8 and 12.  The bottles weren't labeled.  The only way to distinguish which beer you were drinking was from the color of the cap.   Oh, and if you wanted to buy a case, you also had to call and reserve one - their way to make sure it wasn't going to be sold commercially.

So on recent search for the Great Pumpkin at my favorite local pub in Rome, Open Baladin, I overheard a customer to my left speak enthusiastically in English.  When a person gets this excited over beer, I know there is something we can talk about.  So I waited for the right moment.  First I tried to find out what he and his friend were drinking without bothering him. I walked to the restroom and on the way back, I passed by the dark bottle... just some roman numerals on the front.  I still had no idea what the beer was.  Eventually, I had to know what he drank, so I interrupted him from his divine moment to find out he was drinking the holy grail of beers, Westvleteren 12.

How did he get this beer?  What is it doing with a label on it? What is it doing in Italy being sold commercially?
I had all these questions I wanted answered, but not the fluency to find out the truth.  So I bonded with my new friend, we talked beer and Rome and then he left. And I had to have my own. After all, I might never get to try this again.

And so I did. Many reviews have said it's just like the St. Bernardus Abt 12 and not deserving of the reputation. I found similarities, but I could absolutely tell the difference in quality, especially in the finish.  The Westvleteren 12 is a dark, high alcohol beer at over 10% with notes of dark fruits, slightly sweet with a hint of brown sugar or molasses, light but desirable fruit esters and the finish is smooth and lingering in the best of ways. Talk about one amazing Belgian beer.  St. Bernardus Abt 12 ends too strong, too overpowering to the palate in my opinion.  Yes, the Westvleteren 12 was worth spending the extra money and if you get the chance to try it, do not let the opportunity pass.
What do you think are the world's best beers?  Post a comment below to share your thoughts.

4 comments:

Tejaswi said...

To Westy 12!

And to beer!

And to Rome!

Tejaswi said...

And just as a further note, the owner at Ma Che saw my cap and speculated that it might be the 2009 edition (expiring in 2014). So, we might have gotten a rather special vintage.

Unknown said...

I love it! Makes the occasion even more special... and now to purchase the rest of their stock...

Steve Coker said...

Nice!!! very jealous!! I guess that balances the tides of this weekend after I got to go to beer fest. Thanks for sharing the story.