Thursday, August 23, 2012

Rainbow Magicland, Rome's Amusement Park

As a surprise to my Cultural Coordinator, the art historian in my life, I took my wife to a place as un-cultural as it gets: an amusement park.  I thought it would be a good change of pace.

The surprise was difficult to hide because how do you prepare someone for a day of roller coasters, stunt shows, rapid rides and men dressed up in sea horse costumes? My description was something along the lines of, "Make sure you wear sandals, but not your nice ones.  And dress up assuming you are going to be really sweaty ." That statement got the weird look that makes me instantly retract what I said.

"I mean to say, there's not a lot of tree coverage where we are going.  Dress like you are going hiking, but we aren't going hiking."

And then the series of lies begin to try and throw her off the scent.  There might be a waterfall, or a little stream, there might be a church, paintings, a museum.  I said anything I could to prepare her but still throw her off where our final destination would be.

In the end, I gave too many hints and when she joked asking if where we were going had a log flume, I lost it in laughter. She knew instantly that there was indeed a water ride.

Two, specifically. A rapids ride and a big boat plunging into water ride that creates a tidal wave. Both equally good at getting soaked on a hot summer day.
Le Rapide
Rainbow Magicland, the two year old amusement park 45 minutes by train from Rome.  The name for the park is incredibly elementary.  When I first heard of it, I instantly thought super happy kid land, particularly for little girls.  But then I went to the website and saw some of the rides they had to offer.

A big draw to spending a day here was knowing that all the rides were brand new.  Two years old for a ride is young! And that meant they likely used all the latest technologies to make smooth, fun and hopefully energetic rides out there. It also didn't hurt that they reduced the admission fee by what round-trip train tickets cost from Rome to Valmontone.

The park itself was fun.  Sure, it's small compared to some of the monster parks like Disney, but it makes getting to all the rides faster. The place is clearly armed for expansion with a wide open, shallow lake and plenty of empty corners.  The exterior detail put into each ride and the storefronts are truly impressive.  On one ride, I thought I was entering an M.C. Escher ride. it was particularly enjoyable.
Cagliostro
Their main thrill coaster was truly spectacular and worth going on several times.  Easily my favorite ride, Shock goes fast, gives air time, does a couple fantastic twists and completes a round in 22 seconds.
This was taken from one of those rides that go up way high and then let you free fall for a couple seconds... always a fun thrill ride and great for seeing the park in all its greatness.
And the stunt show really impressed us.
I could do that if I really wanted to. Oh wait, have to own a car first.
The men wearing sea horse costumes were a bit strange, but then again, you're in a Magicland described solely as Rainbow.
What type of Magicland is it? Rainbow.
It was also my first time trying a Wurstel pizza, a surprising combination which, even more surprising, is quite common on Roman pizza menus.
That's right.  Hot dog and french fry pizza. More delicious than you think.
All in all, for a ridiculous name, this amusement park was great fun. The Maison Houdini ride deserves special honors because it literally messed with my mental orientation. Many times, I could not figure out which way I was moving, if I was moving.  So entertaining. It was worth the long wait in line.

Bombo, Shock, Maison Houdini and Cagliostro were my favorite four rides. I know you'll love them too if you ever take a trip out to Valmontone, Italy.

No comments: