Friday, September 30, 2011

Free Things To Do In Rome: Go to a Park

Long ago when I was a salesman for corporate America, I had a boss who was outstanding at sales.  He was consistently a national star earning such awards as manager of the year, highest percentage over plan, etc.  He was one of those people who was lucky to have natural "street smarts" in the sales world, and he knew how to use them.

One thing he wasn’t good at?  Judging Rome. 

One year, he received an award for being the top producing manager nationwide.  What did he win?  A week-long vacation with his family to Rome.  He was so excited before he left, and I shared in his excitement because who wouldn't want to travel worldwide on someone else's dollar???

When he returned, I asked him how it was.  "Terrible.  The whole place was just filthy," he told me.  

Luckily, that’s not possible.  Some parks even have signs that tell you to hacky sack your trash into trashcans.

I love this sign mostly because of how happy the guy is to land it in the trash can.

And here's a picture of me practicing throwing away a white ball of trash.  

Like my shorts?

Ok, so not everyone throws their trash away.  That’s a given anywhere you live.  However, when a city is about 2500 years old instead of a very young 200 years (which is what he was used to), I believe everyone should take a step back before they judge.  Consider that in the overall picture. I bet if he’d done that, he might think of it as “surprisingly clean for its age” or something more positive like that.

But I can’t live in a dream world either.  Not everyone thinks that positively.  So I dedicate the rest of this post to all my curmudgeon friends.  Here is the clean beauty I have passed by lately. And please don't be a "mudge" anymore.

Pretty.
Love all the Umbrella Pines.
Crazy how this spaceship fell nose-first into that pile of cement in the water.  Buddy, looks like your engine is flooded.  You have water coming out all the exhaust pipes.
If you plug up his mouth, the water will squirt out his nose.
Kind of wish my house looked like that.
Big Tree, Little Tree, in the Villa Doria Pamphili.
Pretty sure the top left guy is Hercules.
How cool is that?  In Rome, your every day park has 1000 year old sculptures to view.
Even stairways have their own beauty.
Duck, Duck, GOOSE!

When was the last time you stepped back from that busy day of yours and simply admired your surroundings?  Next time you’re outside, stop what you are doing and just take a look around.  Going to a park is FREE and tons of fun! Find anything just VASGO worthy?

3 comments:

Jasmine said...

Ummmm, Vasgo, that sculpture is WAY older than 1000 years. It's at LEAST 1800 years old. Where is your expert??

RealtorRandy said...

Details are cool. I visited NYC and thought it was filthy. Maybe I was wrong about that city.

Sarah said...

eh, sorry, but philadelphia isn't exactly the shining example of a clean city :/ maybe your co-worker was not sent to rome, actually, but rather, to somewhere in new jersey, and his company just made him THINK it was rome? i think that is the answer! rome looks beautiful and very clean!