Monday, February 6, 2012

Over A Month Off

My career as an amateur blogger took a side-step for the last 45 days it seems.  To my faithful readers who check on my nearly-daily updates, I owe you a big apology.  I hope your days were not ruined by my desire to "change it up".

Since the beginning of 2012, I have spent my time exploring alternative writing projects, one in particular which I plan to see through no matter how long it takes.  Back in September 2011, I had no internet access due to a landlord's error.  Feeling so unconnected and lost to the world, I journeyed through Rome taking in the sights and sounds while the city's creative energies seeped through the ancient earth. Microscopically it slid through the cracks in the rubber of my tennis shoes and entered my blood stream through the soles of my feet.

I had the itch.  The itch to write.

And so I did.  In two weeks I had an idea of a novel and with no knowledge of how to formulate a story, I just wrote.  Typing for hours at end, I knocked out 4 chapters of a story that some day might see the fluorescent lighting of a bookstore near you.  If it's anything like what amateur writers go through, most likely, it never will.  This is because after two weeks, the internet was restarted and as we all know, it's more addictive than a Schedule I narcotic. Hence, it has not been looked at since.

Then I started blogging.

This drastically improved the way I wrote.  Perhaps some day I'll go back and compare how I wrote in my first posts compared to what's more current.  I don't claim to write well.  Every post you read are basically first drafts with very few edits made, thus my grammar and writing styles are hardly ever consistent.

However, after three straight months of posting nearly every day (except for weekends), and after a break from the Holidays and vacationing, the desire to post just wasn't there.  What replaced it was the itch to pick up the pen for a larger project.  One destined for greatness of a larger scale or at least that's what the dream tells me.

So this time I'm back to "novel-mode".  It's a different one than what I started back in September.  And I'm going about it differently.  I'm actually putting time into creating my story before it's written down, if that makes sense.  Putting thought into it and formulating so much of it before jumping right in.  Mapping it out THEN seeing where it takes you.

Who knows if I can see it through.  Though I WANT to, we'll see if it sticks.  I've learned that most writers ruin their own dreams because they simply stop writing.  That's easy to do... and especially for me considering I desire variety in my life, and frequently at that.  So if in 6 months you decide to ask me, "So VASGO, how's that story of yours coming along?" and you find out I haven't touched it for 4 months, don't be surprised!

You should be surprised if you find out I've been diligently working on it still.

It's like one of those items on the bucket list.  Writing a novel is right up there with getting a part in a movie or obtaining a doctorate in the field of your choice.  It's a far-off, large-scale dream.

That's what I've been up to lately.

So if we were a dating couple, this is the difficult moment where I say it's not you.  It's me.  I won't be around as much.  Sure we'll still see each other every now and then, but it won't be as often as before.

The good news is, there's still plenty to share with everyone.  I never did post what it was like visiting Paris right before Christmas. And I finally went to the Colloseum!  It even snowed here this past weekend and from what I've been told, it NEVER snows here.  It's kind of like the rare occasion where it snows in Florida.

Cool stuff is happening and it's VASGO-worthy.  I'll just be updating when I can.

See you soon!




No comments: