Thursday, February 9, 2012

Snow + Rome

Recently it snowed here in Rome!  Why the exclamation point?  Because this is a Mediterranean climate.  Snow is rather uncommon here.

However, my native friends here explained to me that even though it snows once a year, if that, it never sticks to the ground... not like it did last weekend.

In fact, my friend Luca went on to comment that the last time he remembered it snowed this much was when he was 14 years old... in 1985!



I was told the average amount of snow collected was about 15cm, or 6 inches.  45 minutes outside of Rome, I have another set of friends who lost their power and water for 2 full days.  This was due to them receiving 60cm or 24 inches of snow!  These volumes just don't occur consistently thus making the cities ill-prepared.

Nor were the umbrella pine trees.  A walk around the neighborhood revealed an astounding amount of huge tree limbs on the ground.  Obviously, they are not used to wet, heavy snow.  In fact, my expert told me about an unlucky car located on a main street near us that still sits on the side, crushed by a giant, fallen limb.

The good news is that the snow made everything beautiful.  And I am thankful for a local friend who went out early the morning after it snowed so she could show the world its beauty.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

The Roman Forum
This guy is dreaming if he thinks the buses are actually running.
So many people enjoying the snow while in front of St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican City.
A couple of nuns in a snowball fight
Brings a whole new meaning to the term "Snow Angels"


All photos in this post are courtesy of Katie Wax.  Well done Katie!  You take outstanding photos!


2 comments:

Beth Lenahan said...

Wow. That is just amazing. Gorgeous pictures. Wish I were there to experience it as well! What a crazy winter!

Jess said...

Love the snow angels and snowball fighting nuns!