Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Drink Coffee Like an Italian

One of my side projects this summer was to create a bunch of articles for a re-branded website all about Italy. So I turned on the old thought generator the first night while laying in bed and went deep into my world of words. What did I know about Italy? What things have been revealed about the country and their culture, habits, etc? And more specifically, what hasn't been written.

Then it came to me. No one has ever written about coffee in Italy.
The coffee at Castel Sant'Angelo is good, but expensive because of the excellent views provided.
Knowing I had the edge on my competitors, I jumped out of bed hastily in the middle of night to turn on the computer. My glasses reflected the bright login screen like a mirror and I slid easily onto the plastic chair because of my silk suit pajamas.

Before any brilliance could be accomplished, of course, I had to have a drink nearby like all the other professional writers in the world.  So I got up, lit the stove and set the tea kettle to it's task. A few minutes later, my friend, Earl Grey, and I finally sat down together. I slid back into the chair slippery as ice, opened the word processor and stared at the blinking black cursor. No words came to me, so I looked at my tea for inspiration while it sat on the local pub's borrowed beer coaster. Still nothing. Then I looked down at the distinguished, paisley pattern of my pajama suit.

The connecting powder puff ball of my silk night cap slid off its comfortable nook above and bounced off my nose, covering my eyes. I pushed it out of the way, slightly agitated, and like a blind person seeing for the first time the enlightened path of my story revealed itself.

See the epic article here - http://www.made-in-italy.com/italian-food/news/the-four-coffees-daily-ritual

And if you are in Rome, make sure to get the Best Coffee in Rome, near the Pantheon.

After that, consider purchasing some vintage paisley silk pajamas with night cap. Happy Italian coffee drinking!
A hotel near Trento, Italy makes the happiest cappuccino in Italy.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I'm reading and writing while waiting for yesterday's drip coffee to reheat in the carafe and trying to blink my eyes open long enough to spell out words with enough similarity to english that google's spell check can at least point me in the right direction. Yesterday, after 2 hours of sleep I spent 3 minutes trying to spell chemicals. Yeah, chemicals. I tried chym, cham, cemicals, and about 40 other things. I was so off that Google suggested Lachrymal in a kind gesture of support. Today I can't help but spell it chemicals chemicals chemicals. All that without the assistance of un caffe.

Glad you're enjoying the birthday PJs I bought you. Becca thought that silk was a bit extravagant for gifting but they were made from inferior teflon worms instead of true silk worms so it was 40% less.

Now I'm off to put cream in the almost-warm coffee or "whiten the dirty water" as they say in South Philly.

Seriously though I think that the $5000 price tag is a stopping point among coffee shops as well as the do-it-yourself attitude that Americans have pretended we invented for decades. A cowboy can't really be expected to carry along a La Marzocco Linea 3 on the trail or an entrepreneurial gold miner to bring a Mazzer Robur grinder and a Prima Compak roaster up into the mountains while panning. The frontier may be what separated us from the Europeans, leaving those unwilling to leave their heady crema behind in the Motherland while those okay with dishwater for breakfast got to go scour the earth, looking for someplace they could build a Dow Corning chymicel plant.

Unknown said...

Dan, absolutely hilarious response! And I must say so, myself, quite well written, indeed.