Thursday, December 1, 2011

Swedish Christmas Market

Happy December 1st!  Know what that means?


  • 19 days until Hanukkah
  • 24 days until Christmas
  • 25 days until Kwanzaa
  • 25 days until Boxing Day


Currently I live in an area of our world where Christmas is celebrated in grandiose fashion.  After all, Rome houses the Pope's country! Plus, Christmas lights are mostly set up.  Christmas markets are already going for the season.  Store fronts have had their Christmas displays in windows for two weeks now.

WARNING:  You will see a lot of Christmas-oriented posts on just VASGO the next 30 or so days.

You have been warned.

Hope you like the holidays too.  But fear not, this won't be like going in a department store and having to hear the same old Christmas songs over and over again making you sick to your stomach.  My goal is to share with you the beauty and events inspired by the holidays this time of year.  Most people I know have not had the luxury of spending an entire December in another country.  I use that information and try to close the gap. Bring you closer to the rest of the world.

So, today, we venture to Sweden!



Well, really we are just going to a church being used by the Swedish Embassy in Rome because that's where they are hosting this year's Swedish Christmas Market.

When my expert and I heard about this event, I said, "We have to go!"

I've never been to a Swedish Christmas Market before.  Come to think of it, I've never been to Sweden or experienced their culture except through travel shows on network television.  So it was a "must-go" VASGO opportunity.

Here's what we saw.


Notice the sign says it's a Mercatino.  It does not say Mercato, market. Most times if the Italian word ends with -ino, it means it is little or small.  So we are going to a small Swedish Christmas market.  Glad to see they are setting our expectations before we walk in.  The last thing I want at a Christmas market is disappointment!


And small it was.  There were close to a total of 12 tables in total.  Many had crafts like above and below.

This person offered trinkets.

This person offered whammies.

I like the unhappy girl on that item.

There were a few tables that offered food!  Anyone care for some GLÖGG?

Glögg is actually the term for mulled wine in the Nordic countries.  It is generally served with raisins, blanched almonds and ginger snaps. (source)

Home baked Swedish goods.

Is that a Swedish candies stand down there?  IT IS!!!

These were authentic Swedish candies very similar to flavored Candy Canes, minus the curved part. And these were very thick.  Can't see what the top one is but the flavors are as follows: Whiskey, Wild Strawberry, Apple, Cappuccino, Violet, Licorice

For my first Christmas market of the season, not bad.  But not good.  I have higher expectations for larger ones.  However, I experienced something culturally new to me by going to this and that made it completely worth the bus fare to get out there.  It's called Salt Licorice and it is unlike any candy I have ever tried!  Stay tuned tomorrow to see how it tastes!

No comments: