Monday, December 5, 2011

Best Coffee in Rome?


Sant’ Eustachio Il Caffe.  One of the few places in Rome that actually roast their own coffee beans.  Also one of the few coffee places in Rome that actually get described as being the BEST. 



After hearing from my Rome expert that Sant’Eustachio was nearby and that they are considered the BEST coffee in Rome, I said I had to try this for myself. 

I’ve been a fan of the flavor of coffee since I was in elementary school.  At that time, my parents might have given me a sip or two of extra “corrected” coffee so it basically tasted like a candy due to the milk and sugar.  Once my palette developed, I grew fond of both their bitter qualities when tasted “black” and of course, I never lost my appreciation for a sweetened coffee. 



So when we stepped foot inside this bustling coffee shop, we got in line to pay for due caffe, two coffees, grabbed our receipt, walked it over to the other side of the room and waited for an opening at the long counter so the barista could make our macchiati, espressos touched with a little frothy milk. 



Here’s what we got.



Looks pretty good, right?  But espresso is usually so much brighter than coffee, more acidic, and many times its taste is rich, almost powerful with deep, roasted flavors.  That means I usually want sugar added to it. 

But where is it?  I can’t find it anywhere near me.

I look down the bar and my eyes widen with surprise.  



Forget finding sugar.  Are those two people ACTUALLY drinking cappuccinos?  Wait, what time is it? 



Almost 1:30 in the afternoon (13.30)???  FOR SHAME!  No respectable Italian would be caught in public ordering a cappuccino after 10:30 in the morning. 

Thankful that I was taught this important piece of etiquette, I continued looking for the sugar until a sign very obviously posted said that sugar was added unless you requested it without when you order with the barista.

So I dove into my machiatto with an eager tongue to see if Sant’ Eustachio was all it was cracked up to be.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.  The touch of frothy milk on top really adds to it.  Balances the acidic nature of the espresso very well.  But even then, the dark caffeinated fuel was quite balanced as is.  It still had wonderful roasted flavors to it, and combined with the almost brown-colored raw cane sugar, notes of molasses were infused into the bottom of my drink.  Indeed, this was a wonderful coffee.

The question is, was it the best?  I can’t say with certainty that my experience was the best.  It is VERY crowded in there due to popularity.  And I usually like to control how much sugar goes in my drink.  I also haven’t been to every coffee shop in Rome.  However, the taste was superb and it is very possibly the best I’ve had so far. 

When in Rome, put up with the crowds and give Sant’ Eustachio’s macchiato a try.  It’s near the Pantheon for sightseeing.  A good coffee in Rome always hits the spot.

No comments: