Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sweet dreams for the Sweet life

The countdown is on! Less than two weeks and my feet will touch Italian soil.

That's great because it means soon I will be living la dolce vita,  the sweet life.  And that excites me because things will slow down and I can really live just VASGO.  Imagine taking in all the sights, sounds, smells of that crazy-old city called Roma.  I close my eyes and easily visualize beautifully old buildings with its grand architecture and aesthetically pleasing surroundings.  I see nonne, grandmothers, wearing handkerchiefs tied around their heads walking to the nearest family-owned single-location grocery store which is so unlike that mega-walmart you just bought 2 pounds of salmon from.  Then I see myself following them, but not noticeably, so I can soak it all in - see what they buy, hear them order meats and cheeses, learn the ways of the wise.

I also see a tangent experience developing.  One where my following a nonna ends up with me being noticed for following too closely and I get screamed at in a language I hardly understand. The other shoppers peer around the aisles to see what all the noise is about and all I feel is my face getting red and I'm wondering what the italian word for "stalker" is.

I also envision her grabbing the nearest baguette and hitting me with it until she runs me out of the store.  My Italian skills = your two year old nephew.

Tranquil or comedic, what I envision has yet to come because I'm still in the city of brotherly love and it's a madhouse trying to move.  One of these days I will put up a full HOW-TO section on moving abroad so people who try to move and still keep their assets in their former lives can have a little better idea of what to expect.

But for now, please don't hit me with these.


Arrivederci my friends.

No comments: