Thursday, August 11, 2011

Anyone ever try to flee the country?

Leaving your home country can be a difficult thing.  I don't just mean taking a vacation for a few weeks.  I mean truly packing up all your belongings and leaving all that you've known to basically start a new life.  Few people do it because it's not easy.

I have been approached with quite the unique opportunity.  My wife is a nerd.  Not the embarrassing kind of nerd like in that tv show you secretly like.  She is the respectable nerd.  I'm talking about those ingrained with impressive ambition to stay focused on that oh-so-ridiculously-far goal.  For example, all of you who are in the process of getting your masters degrees or doctoral degrees, I applaud you.  I also think you're crazy.  :)

Me?  I'm Corporate America Sales Guy.  Or at least was.  My path started with an independent company which was bought out by a Fortune 500 company.  Then I transferred to another region within the company.  Then I jumped from that Fortune 500 company to another.  Oh how sweet life can be when you are young and hungry.

So when smart girl gets a two year award to live in a foreign country, as The Clash put it, Should I stay or should I go?  That's exactly the question I have been faced with.  What's better - two years of Skype or two years of culture shock?

My vote?  Goodbye corporate America, buon giorno Roma!

1 comment: